Julie’s post on this cake inspired me to try it out. It’s remarkably similar in texture to Elvis’s Favorite Poundake – very dense, with a tight crumb, and not too sweet. Master Chow liked this one, too.
Sour Cream Pound Cake
(From Perfect Cakes by Nick Malgieri; Julie edited these instructions for simplicity’s sake.)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- 3 cups flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ½ t. salt
- Butter and flour 12-cup tube or Bundt pan. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- ½ pound butter, softened
- 2¾ cups sugar
- Beat on medium speed until very light, about 5 minutes.
- ½ t. lemon extract
- ½ t. orange extract
- ½ t. vanilla extract
- Beat the extracts into batter
- 6 large eggs
- Beat into batter, one at a time, beating until smooth after each addition.
- 8 ounces sour cream
- On low, alternately beat in flour mixture and sour cream, beginning and ending with flour.
- Scrape into greased and floured bundt pan and bake for 1¼ to 1½ hours or until cake tester comes out clean. Let sit in pan 10 minutes and then turn out on rack to cool completely.